Some Great Virtues of Inviting to Allah
It is the best cause or means which leads to the obedience of Allah and it is the greatest way of drawing closer to Him, Allah informs us:
ومن احسن قولا ممن دعا الى الله وعمل صالحا وقال انني من المسلمين
“And who is better in speech than the one who invites to Allah, and he does righteous deeds and he says indeed I am from the muslims”
(Surah Al Fussilat, Verse 33)
Shaykh Muhammad Ibn Abdil Wahaab said that because Allah the Majestic mentions in this verse the word ‘إلى ‘ that it is incumbent upon the caller to be sincere and his call should only be to Allah. This is because there are callers who call to themselves, or to their shaykh or to their group.
and Imaam As Shawkaanee said:
لا شيء أحسن منه, و لا أوضح من طريقته, و لا أكثر ثوابا من عمله
“There is nothing that is better than this (Dawah) and there is no way or path that has been made clearer than this path, and there is no action that would earn rewards as much as inviting to Allah
It is the position or job of the prophets and whoever threads upon their way. Therefore you would find the Ulamaa, the callers and those who rectify the ummah following or pursuing this path.
Shaykh Abdur Rahmaan As Sa’adi said:
و هذه المرتبة تمامها للصدقيين الذين عملوا على تكميل أنفسهم وغيرهم و حصلت لهم الوراثة التامة من الرسل
“This is a station for the truthful, those who rectify themselves and others. So because they do this they have become inheritors of the prophets”
If you were to ask yourself the question “What is the purpose of seeking Islamic knowledge?” then know that Ahlul Ilm (Scholars) have defined its purpose as ‘removing ignorance from yourself and others’
as for the seeking of knowledge, then shaykh Saalih Ibn Abdil Azeez Aala Shaykh mentioned that it is categorized into three categories:
- العلم النافع (seeking beneficial knowledge) this is knowledge of Allah’s tawheed, learning about the oneness of Allah. Understanding and studying its three categories thoroughly which are Ar Ruboobiyah (lordship), Al Uloohiyah (Singling out Allah alone in His worship) and Al Asmaa wa sifaat (understanding His beautiful names and lofty attributes)
- العلم الامر و النهي (seeking knowledge of that which Allah and His messenger صلى الله عليه و سلم command and prohibit) this is learning the legislative aspect of Allah’s religion.
- العلم الجزاء (seeking knowledge of the hereafter) this is understanding that which Allah and his messenger Muhammad صلى الله عليه و سلم informed concerning all the affairs that would occur after death, up until the person is either placed into paradise or hell.
therefore there is no doubt that the seeker of knowledge has a great and lofty station, Abu Darda mentioned that the prophet صلى الله عليه و سلم said:
“The excellence of the Aalim (scholar) over the rest of the regular worshippers is like the excellence of the moon to the stars, indeed the scholars are inheritors of the prophets and the prophets did not leave behind a dinar or dirham but that which they left behind is beneficial knowledge. So whoever has taken from it has indeed acquired an abundant portion”
Ibn Qayyim Al Jawziyah said:
الدعوة الى الله أشرف المقامات العبد و أجلها و أفضلها
Calling to Allah is the noblest rank for the slave of Allah and it is the best and most significant position.
Inviting to Allah has great blessings and abundant good, this is why the prophet صلى الله عليه و سلم directed his son-in-law and cousin Ali Ibn Abi taalib to call to Allah, he alayhi salam said:
لأن يهدي الله بك رجلا واحدا خير لك من حمر النعم
“If it is that Allah were to guide one person by you to Islam it is better for you than a red camel”
Ibn Qayim Al Jawaiyah said:
و تبليغ سنته إلى الأمة أفضل من تبليغ السهام في النحور العدو, لأن تبليغ السهام يفعله كثير من الناس, و أما تبليغ السنن فلا يقوم به إلا ورثة الأنبياء
“Conveying the sunnah of the prophet صلى الله عليه و سلم to the ummah is better than thrusting arrows to kill the enemy, and that is because many people thrust arrows at the enemy, but as for conveying the sunnah then this is not done except by the one who has inherited form the prophets”
Inviting to Allah is from the actions which are continuously multiplied, the blessing for it remains even if the one who did it died and that is because the prophet said:
إذا مات ابن آدم انقطع عنه عمله إلا من ثلاث, صدقة جارية, وعلم ينتفع به, و ولد صالح يدعو له
When the son of Adam dies, all of his actions are cut-off from him except three
- The charity which he gave that continues to multiply
- The knowledge which he left behind (so that people continue to benefit from it)
- A righteous child which he raised upon Islam that would supplicate for him after his death.
May Allah the Lofty and High help us to understand the importance of inviting to His obedience and may He help us to understand the importance of directing others to good and may He make us from the sincere truthful callers.
Compiled by Abuabdilmaalik Abdulhaqq Ibn Islaam.